Laser dentistry is the use of specifically designed lasers to treat several different dental conditions. It has been used in clinical dental practices for procedures involving tooth tissue for three decades.
Laser dentistry is the use of specifically designed lasers to treat several different dental conditions. It has been used in clinical dental practices for procedures involving tooth tissue for three decades. Laser dentistry potentially offers a more comfortable treatment option for dental procedures involving hard or soft tissue compared to traditional alternatives.
LASER stands for “light amplification by the stimulated emission of radiation.” The instrument creates energy in an extremely focused and narrow beam. This laser light produces a reaction when it hits tissue, allowing it to either remove or reshape the tissue.
The entire team at Missouri River Dental is committed to providing a patient experience unlike any other. The foundation of that philosophy is our personable and professional staff. We collectively strive to blend technology, art, and healthcare for each patient. Our goal is to provide you with an individualized patient experience unlike any other you have had at a dental office. We strive to create a positive and comfortable atmosphere for our patients while still meeting their dental needs, wishes, and exceeding expectations. Call us today at 701-751-7177 or enter your request online to schedule an appointment for your evaluation regarding the benefits of laser dentistry for you. You can conveniently find Missouri River Dental at 1600 Uptown Lane, Bismarck, ND, 58503.
Laser dentistry is used in a number of procedures, including:
- Treating gum disease-Lasers are often used to reshape gums and remove bacteria during root canal procedures.
- Soft tissue procedures-Lasers are occasionally used for biopsies, lesion removal, or frenectomies, the releasing of the tension on a piece of tissue that is preventing a part of the body from moving too far, commonly the upper lip.
- Treating tooth decay-Lasers are being used to remove decay within a tooth and prepare the surrounding enamel for a dental filling.
- Teeth whitening-Lasers are now used to speed up in-office teeth whitening procedures. A peroxide bleaching solution, applied to the tooth surface, is ''activated" by laser energy, which then speeds up of the whitening process.
Lasers are making dental treatments more efficient, comfortable, and cost effective. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved laser dentistry as a treatment option for several dental conditions.
The Benefits of Laser Dentistry
Laser technology has enabled Missouri River Dental to perform procedures that are far less invasive than scalpel-based procedures of the past. The benefits of laser dentistry include:
- No surgical scalpels are needed.
- Sutures are not necessary since the laser cauterizes the tissue.
- Sterilizes tissue surfaces.
- Bleeding is dramatically reduced.
- Recovery is shorter, quicker, and faster.
- It treats precisely targeted tissue without affecting any surrounding tissue.
Our team is committed to understanding your dental goals from your perspective. We work closely with you to develop an individualized treatment plan for creating your ideal smile.
MISSOURI RIVER DENTAL
“I believe in comprehensive, quality oral health care that is patient-centered. I strive to create a positive and comfortable experience for each patient while still meeting their dental needs, wishes and expectations.”
MISSOURI RIVER DENTAL
“I view my professional success as earning the trust of each individual patient and will work to build this by focusing on clinical thoroughness, comfort, and education so they can make the best informed decision.”
MISSOURI RIVER DENTAL
At Missouri River Dental, our goal is to create an exceptional patient experience. We strive to exceed that experience through being compassionate, clinically thorough and providing excellent communication.
Every little detail matters,
first-class dental care matters.
How Does Laser Dentistry Work?
All lasers perform by delivering energy in the form of light. When used in dental procedures, the laser acts as a cutting instrument or a vaporizer of soft tissue that it encounters. When used in teeth-whitening procedures, the laser performs as a heat source and escalates the effect of tooth-bleaching agents.
Laser dentistry is an extremely efficient way to re-shape or re-contour gum tissue. An uneven gum line or excess gum tissue can affect your self-confidence with the appearance of your smile. Teeth that are uneven or misshapen can affect the perception of your smile. Laser energy ablates the tissue painlessly and allows Missouri River Dental to target tissue precisely without causing any excessive bleeding. The laser cauterizes as it cuts, reducing bleeding and sterilizing the area as it works.
Common hard tissue procedures include:
- Treating tooth sensitivity. Teeth that have sensitivity to hot and cold can be treated with dental lasers that will seal the tubules on the tooth’s root.
- Cavity detection. Lasers can detect cavities earlier by finding evidence of decay.
- Tooth preparation and dental fillings. Local anesthesia and dental drills are usually not needed with laser treatments. Lasers will kill bacteria in a cavity, which then aids the long-term health of the tooth.
Common soft tissue procedures include:
- Correcting a gummy smile. Lasers are often used to reshape gum tissue associated with a gummy smile, in which the excess gums tissue covers much of the tooth.
- Crown lengthening. This procedure reshapes the gum tissue and bone for a healthier tooth structure, which also helps with placing restorations on the teeth.
- Treating tongue frenulum. If you have a thick or tight frenulum (the fold of skin under the front part of the tongue that anchors to the mouth floor) you could benefit from a laser frenectomy. This treatment will help children whose restricted frenulum causes them to be tongue-tied, have difficulty breastfeeding, or have developed a speech impediment.
- Removing soft tissue folds. Lasers remove soft tissue folds from ill-fitting dentures without any pain or sutures.
Other laser procedures include:
- Teeth whitening. Lasers speed up the bleaching process during teeth-whitening sessions.
- Treating obstructive sleep apnea. Lasers will reshape the throat and relieve associated breathing problems when sleep apnea is caused by a tissue overgrowth in the throat.
- Treating cold sores. Lasers can minimize healing time and reduce discomfort from cold sores.
- Nerve regeneration. Lasers can help regenerate damaged nerves, blood vessels, and scars.
- Viewing tissues. Optical coherence tomography allows us to safely see inside a tooth or gum tissue.
- Removing benign tumors. Lasers will remove tumors from the gums, palate, and sides of the lips and cheeks through a pain and suture-free method.
- TMJ (temporomandibular joint) treatment. Lasers can easily help reduce pain and inflammation in the TMJ joint.
Laser treatments will vary in price, depending on the procedure and the laser equipment used. Compared to non-laser treatment, they could be less expensive because the laser treatment is usually completed in fewer sessions.
Changing the Dental Experience Norm
One Patient at a Time
Missouri River Dental provides you with a clean, comfortable, and modern feel. Our team goal is to provide you with the best possible care utilizing the most current dental technologies and services. The entire team at Missouri River Dental focuses on providing comprehensive, quality oral health care that is always centered on you, our patient. We appreciate the value of your time. That is why we are flexible with our hours of operation; open early, open late, and open Saturdays. Call us now at 701-751-7177 or make your appointment online for your personal evaluation and consultation regarding the benefits of laser dentistry for you. Our office is located at 1600 Uptown Lane, Bismarck, ND, 58503.