People with untreated sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly throughout their sleep, sometimes hundreds of times.
Sleep apnea is a serious sleep disorder that happens when a person's breathing is interrupted during sleep. People with untreated sleep apnea stop breathing repeatedly throughout their sleep, sometimes hundreds of times. These breathing lapses result in lower-quality sleep and will affect your body’s supply of oxygen, leading to possibly serious health consequences. This means that the brain, and the rest of the body, is not getting the oxygen it needs.
Sleep apnea is a common disorder. It affects adults and children, and people of both sexes, but it is most common in men. Approximately 18 million Americans struggle with some degree of sleep apnea according to the National Sleep Foundation. Sleep apnea can develop from several reasons, but the most common causes are from the tongue being too large, the muscles in the throat becoming weakened, or the jaw being too small, all of which can result in an obstruction to your airway.
The entire team at Missouri River Dental is committed to providing a patient experience unlike any other. The foundation of that philosophy is our personable and professional staff. We collectively strive to blend technology, art, and healthcare for each patient. Our goal is to provide you with an individualized patient experience unlike any other you have had at a dental office. We strive to create a positive and comfortable atmosphere for our patients while still meeting their dental needs, wishes, and exceeding expectations. Call us today at 701-751-7177 or enter your request online to schedule an appointment for your evaluation regarding treatment of sleep apnea for you or a family member. You can conveniently find Missouri River Dental at 1600 Uptown Lane, Bismarck, ND, 58503.
How Missouri River Dental Diagnoses Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea is discovered most often when your partner complains about your snoring at night. If you are told this has become an issue, Missouri River Dental can diagnose the issue as being related to sleep apnea by examining your teeth, gums, and all soft tissues. If you might suffer from bruxism, the grinding of your teeth, caused by sleep apnea, you could develop additional oral health issues.
You can consider Missouri River Dental as your front line of defense when it comes to identifying the signs of sleep apnea. When we see you every six months for your regular checkup and exam, we ask basic questions to confirm and to strategize a treatment plan to combat your sleeping disorder. We will use several diagnostic methods to evaluate your sleep and to determine the severity of your condition. We will work directly with your physician to establish a proper diagnosis and discuss the correct option to help address your sleep apnea.
The Common Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
Due to the prevalence and potential health impact of sleep apnea, it is essential for you to understand what sleep apnea is and to know the types, symptoms, causes, and potential treatments. Call Missouri River Dental for an evaluation if you think you may have sleep apnea.
The most frequent and common signs associated with sleep apnea include the following:
- You experience loud snoring.
- Waking up in the night many times gasping for air.
- You have chronic headaches in the mornings.
- Your throat is extremely dry when you wake up.
- You have persistent fatigue.
- You have mood swings, depression, or other mood disorders.
- You experience brain fog or even memory loss.
MISSOURI RIVER DENTAL
“I believe in comprehensive, quality oral health care that is patient-centered. I strive to create a positive and comfortable experience for each patient while still meeting their dental needs, wishes and expectations.”
MISSOURI RIVER DENTAL
“I view my professional success as earning the trust of each individual patient and will work to build this by focusing on clinical thoroughness, comfort, and education so they can make the best informed decision.”
MISSOURI RIVER DENTAL
At Missouri River Dental, our goal is to create an exceptional patient experience. We strive to exceed that experience through being compassionate, clinically thorough and providing excellent communication.
Every little detail matters,
first-class dental care matters.
Sleep Apnea Treatment Options
There are different treatment options available. Some treatments are designed to correct the root cause while others are meant to reduce the symptoms. Consult with Missouri River Dental about which treatment option is best for you.
- Lifestyle Change: Sleep apnea can be corrected by changing some daily habits and improving how you care for yourself. If you wish to pursue nonsurgical methods and treat this issue naturally, there are some options available. Being aware of eating healthy, exercising more, and reducing or eliminating the use of nicotine and alcohol can have huge positive results in reducing your sleep apnea symptoms. Taking a few steps to control your stressors, either through mindfulness, yoga, a massage, or a reduced workload can reduce or even eliminate sleep apnea issues.
- CPAP Machine: A CPAP Machine is a common and popular treatment for sleep apnea. The CPAP machine delivers pressurized air through a mask that is placed over your nose and mouth while you sleep. This is a proven and effective way to keep your airway open.
- Oral Appliance Therapy: Missouri River Dental can help by creating an oral appliance, much like a mouthguard, which you can comfortably wear while sleeping. It is designed to gently open your airway during sleep, minimizing the obstructions, and therefore making it easier to breathe. Research has proven that the oral appliance can be equally as effective as the CPAP machine for cases of mild to moderate sleep apnea.
- Surgery: If you have introduced changes to your daily habits but still suffer from sleep apnea, there are now surgical procedures that can be considered that will improve your breathing passageways.
Stopping the snoring benefits your overall health and your relationships. You will feel rested and can sleep in the same room without bothering your loved ones. As your dental healthcare provider, we will work with your physician to treat your snoring and your sleep apnea.
The Risks Associated with Sleep Apnea
A common misconception about sleep apnea is that it is not a significant health issue. Although the snoring can be terribly annoying, sleep apnea can result in far more serious health issues occurring, including the following:
- Elevated Blood Pressure
- Energy Sapping Depression
- Nagging Fatigue
- Chronic Headaches
- Increased Risk of Diabetes
- Increased Risk of Heart Disease
- Life Changing Heart Attack
- Memory Loss
- Diminished Sex Drive
If you think you could have sleep apnea, please take the time to get tested at Missouri River Dental. By doing so it might result in a profoundly positive impact on your overall health and prevent these serious issues from occurring.
Changing the Dental Experience Norm
One Patient at a Time
Missouri River Dental provides you with a clean, comfortable, and modern feel. Our team goal is to provide you with the best possible care utilizing the most current dental technologies and services. The entire team at Missouri River Dental focuses on providing comprehensive, quality oral health care that is always centered on you, our patient. We appreciate the value of your time. That is why we are flexible with our hours of operation; open early, open late, and open Saturdays. Call us now at 701-751-7177 or make your appointment online for your personal evaluation and consultation regarding a treatment for sleep apnea for either you or a family member. Our office is located at 1600 Uptown Lane, Bismarck, ND, 58503.